Visas for Chile

Expats in Chile who are looking to settle or work in the country will have to consider the various visas, whether for a temporary stay or permanent residence. 

Citizens of several countries, including the USA, Canada and most of Western Europe, are unlikely to need a visa for stays in Chile of up to 90 days.

Tourist visas for Chile

Visitors to Chile will need their passports on arrival. In order to be granted entry, they will usually be required to show border officials proof of funds for the duration of their stay and evidence of their scheduled departure date. Expats should note that some nationals, such as Australians and Mexicans, will need to pay a reciprocity fee in cash on arrival in Chile.

A Tourist Card, issued on arrival and valid for 90 days, should be carried at all times. This card can sometimes be renewed for an additional 90 days when it nears its expiration date and this can be arranged through the Departamento de Extranjería. Expats should be prepared for long queues and waiting times.

Nationals of some South American countries need only their national identity documents to enter Chile. Citizens of countries that are not visa-exempt should contact the Chilean embassy in their home country for visa application requirements.

Residence visas for Chile

Visa Subject to Contract

The Visa Sujeta a Contrato de Trabajo is a resident visa granted to foreign workers who have been hired from overseas and who intend to live and work in Chile. It is usually valid for the length of an expat's contract. The dependent visa linked to this is for the immediate family of the contract worker and holders of this type of dependent visa are not allowed to work while they live in Chile.

Temporary Resident Visa

The Visa de Residencia Temporaria is intended for those who wish to travel the country with the intention of settling in Chile to seek work or to visit family members. This visa is valid for a year. There is an associated dependent visa for family members of the Temporary Resident Visa holder, but dependents on this visa are not allowed to work in Chile.

Working Holiday Visa

This visa is a work permit which allows nationals of certain countries to travel and study or work in Chile for a year or less. 

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global