Before expats make their move to the country, it's important to make sure they have the correct paperwork in order and have obtained the correct visa for Portugal, if necessary. As Portugal is an EU member state, citizens of other EU states can travel to the country with only their passports.

Although EU citizens are entitled to live and work in Portugal without a visa, there are still some documents which will be required to obtain the necessary residence permit. Residency permits are necessary for any stay longer than six months and can also be used as proof of residence for administrative tasks.

Non-EU citizens travelling to Portugal for a short visit or holiday may need to apply for a short-stay visa. On the other hand, those who plan on moving to or working in Portugal will need either a temporary-stay visa or a long-stay visa, depending on the duration of their stay in the country.

Types of visas for Portugal

Short-stay visas

Portugal is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement. Nationals of countries also signatory to the agreement don't need to apply for a tourist visa prior to arrival. Citizens of some countries such as the USA, Australia and New Zealand are also entitled to stay in Portugal for up to 90 days without a visa.

Visitors from other countries will be required to apply for a short-stay visa, also known as a Schengen visa, before arriving in Portugal. Applicants will need to submit proof of adequate funds, valid travel insurance and a booking for a return ticket.

As Portugal is part of the Schengen territory, once a person is granted this visa, they can visit multiple destinations that are signatories to the agreement. Those who plan on travelling to several Schengen countries should make their application at the consulate of the country in which they plan to spend the most time.

Temporary-stay visas

Nationals of third-party countries planning on staying in Portugal for longer than 90 days but less than a year will need to apply for a temporary-stay visa rather than a short-stay visa. Temporary-stay visas allow multiple entries into the country and are renewable.

Long-stay visas

Long-stay visas, also known as residency visas, are for stays of longer than a year and are renewable. Expats moving to Portugal for work will usually need to obtain this visa and a work permit.

Permanent residence and citizenship

After five years in the country, expats can apply for permanent residency in Portugal. Permanent residents can then apply for citizenship after an additional year. Some expats, such as those married to a Portuguese citizen, are eligible for permanent residency and citizenship earlier than those without such ties to the country.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!