After securing a job, getting the appropriate visa and arriving in the country, an expat would need a work permit for Thailand. It’s theoretically possible for expats who have not secured a position before they move to Thailand to get a work permit once they are in the country. 

Expats looking to work in Thailand will need to enter the country on a Non-Immigrant Visa. However, before they can start working, expats will need to get a work permit from the Thai Ministry of Labour.

Work permit applications in Thailand

After arriving at the Immigration Checkpoint at their point of entry, holders of a valid visa are granted an initial temporary stay permit, which is usually valid for 90 days. New arrivals are then advised to apply for a temporary work permit at the Department of Employment (which oversees the labour ministry) as soon as possible.

After receiving their temporary work permit, applicants will then have a limited time to apply for a long-term visa called the Extension of Stay Permit at the Immigration Bureau. This permit is valid for a maximum of one year, after which holders will need to apply for an extension. 

In many cases, an expat’s sponsoring company will apply for a work permit at the Department of Employment on their behalf. The employee will then be responsible for applying for their long-term visa and re-entry permit. 

Work permit applications can take weeks or even months to process, so it’s important for expats to act early, have patience and ensure that their visa does not expire. A foreign resident with a visa in danger of expiring must apply for the appropriate extension – it is imperative that the visa is current the day they sign for their work permit. 

When the application process and decision-making are complete, expats will physically have to retrieve their work permits at the relevant Labour Department with their passports.

Expats wishing to leave the country for a period before returning and going back to work will need to apply for a re-entry permit. Leaving the country without one nullifies an expat’s work permit and visa.

Expats looking to lengthen the validity of their work permits must secure an extension-of-stay permit. At this point, if an expat quits their job, they will need to cancel their extension-of-stay permit before leaving the country. This would require an employer’s letter, which has to be presented to the Immigration Department on their last working day or, if their last day is on a weekend or public holiday, on the next standard business day. 

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their nearest Thai embassy or consulate for the latest information.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!