Expats will need to get their paperwork in order and make sure they have the right visa for Germany before relocating.

As a member of the European Union, Germany permits citizens of other EU states to enter with nothing but their passports and entitles them to live and work in Germany without a visa. But once there, they will still need to get a residency permit.

Non-EU citizens travelling to Germany for a short stay may need to apply for a Schengen visa, which usually takes about two weeks. Non-EU expats planning to live or work in the country will need to get the necessary work or residency permit.

Tourist visas for Germany

Germany is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement, so nationals of other Schengen countries won't need to apply for a tourist visa before they arrive. Their passports are stamped upon arrival, and they can stay for 90 days.

Aside from the Schengen Countries, citizens of the UK, the US, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand can stay in Germany for 90 days or less without a visa.

Schengen visas for Germany

Most non-EU citizens have to apply for a tourist visa at a German embassy or consulate ahead of time. It's best to apply well in advance – it's possible to submit three months before the planned departure date.

Schengen visa holders can visit other Schengen states. If they do plan on travelling to other countries, they should apply at the consulate of the country they arrive in or the one they plan to spend most of their time in.

It is important to note that Schengen visa holders don't have permission to work or conduct business in Germany and other member countries.

Business visas for Germany

Expats wanting to travel to do business in Germany need to apply for a business visa, which requires a formal invitation from a German company. They'll also need to provide evidence of their visit, including the duration of their stay, and a guarantee for any costs involved.

Even someone visiting the German office of their current employer would need a business visa.

Work permits for Germany

Most expats who intend to settle and work for longer periods will need a German work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis). The requirements will differ depending on where they're from.

While citizens of most EU states won't need a permit, those from newer member states such as Bulgaria and Romania may require one if they plan on working in certain sectors.

Anyone planning on living in Germany needs a residency permit, regardless of where they come from.

Residency permits for Germany

Applications for a residency permit (Aufaenhalt) must either be done in person at a German embassy or consulate, or through the immigration authorities in Germany. Since EU nationals have the right to live and work in Germany, getting a residency permit is simply a formality.

There are several different types of residency permits for non-EU citizens who intend to work in Germany. There are residence permits for general employment (Arbeit), professionals with specialist skills, self-employed foreigners, highly skilled with qualifications in specified sectors (EU Blue Card) and IT professionals. In most cases, it's essential that non-EU expats have their residency permits approved before they arrive.

The EU Blue Card is highly popular among expats as it allows them to enjoy similar rights and protections as German citizens and paves the way for permanent residency. In most cases, expats must have a job offer with a contract valid for at least six months in one of the professions considered 'bottleneck professions' in Germany.

These include veterinarians, teachers and academically trained professionals in childcare, elderly care or logistics. Germany has recently eased salary requirements for the EU Blue Card, and expats applying for it are no longer limited to jobs that are directly related to their qualifications, making it an even more attractive choice for new arrivals.

Expats will either be granted a limited or an unlimited residency permit once their application is approved, which will depend on their country of origin and reasons for being in Germany. Permits attached to a fixed-term contract are granted for the same length of time as the contract states.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!