Expats wanting to travel to Egypt will need a valid passport and possibly a tourist visa, depending on their nationality. Although the service has been suspended since October 2023, nationals of 74 countries can purchase a visa on arrival at an airport in Egypt.

Expats travelling to Egypt to work or study will need to obtain a residence permit, as these activities are not permitted on a tourist visa.

Tourist visas for Egypt

Visa stamps

The tourist visa for Egypt is valid for up to 90 days, with a maximum stay of 30 days during this period. While nationals of some countries do not require a tourist visa when travelling to Egypt, other nationalities will need to get a tourist visa upon arrival at an airport in Egypt. These options don't apply to all countries, however, and nationals of some other countries will have to apply for a tourist visa in advance of travelling to Egypt.

Expats should check with their local Egyptian embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information on nationality requirements regarding tourist visas for Egypt. Citizens from certain countries, such as Iran, Yemen and Kazakhstan, will need pre-clearance before applying for an Egyptian visa. 

Visitors to Egypt will need a passport that will be valid for at least six months from their entry date in Egypt, as well as proof of accommodation and a return ticket to apply for an Egyptian tourist visa. Those who will be travelling to the country for business purposes must have an invitation letter from a local company. 

Useful links

Residence permits for Egypt

Expats planning to stay in Egypt for work or study purposes will need to acquire a residence permit and, if in employment, a work permit. Residence is generally granted for one, three or five years. There are several types of residence permits available for Egypt, including: 

  • Work or employment-based
  • Family reunion
  • Investor or business residence
  • Retirement
  • Student

The documentation required will differ based on the specific residence permit expats have applied for. Typically, expats must submit a valid passport, a police clearance certificate, a health certificate and proof of health insurance among others. 

Work permit applications are made separately from applications for residence permits. The process is a long and arduous one, and expats must have secured employment before they can apply for their work permit. Extensive documentation is required for a work permit application, so it's important to do thorough research beforehand on all that's required.

*Visa regulations and requirements for work permits are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!