- Purchase the complete Expat Arrivals Calgary Guide (PDF)
Calgary experiences a humid continental climate with warm summers and icy winters, with the mercury often dropping below freezing. The mountains in and around the city cause dry conditions, but summers (June to August) do bring a little rainfall.
Winters (December to February) are long and cold, but are occasionally relieved by warm winds called Chinooks. Average daily temperatures in Calgary are 62°F (17°C) in summer and 20°F (-7°C) in winter. The weather in Calgary fluctuates considerably and the daily predictions are often off the mark.
►Our Lifestyle in Calgary page provides an overview of great annual events in the area
"The biggest adjustments here involved the drastically different climate. Coming from sunny South Africa to snowy Canada can be quite a shock to the system. Winters are very cold and with the snow you need lots of layers, jackets, mittens and boots, and this was a huge adjustment for our kids, who were used to running around barefoot most of the year. It’s also quite a challenge to learn to drive safely in the winter conditions."
Learn more about South African expat Catherine's experiences adjusting to life in Calgary.
Are you an expat living in Calgary?
Expat Arrivals is looking for locals to contribute to this guide, and answer forum questions from others planning their move to Calgary. Please contact us if you'd like to contribute.
Expat Health Insurance
Our trusted partner Cigna Global is very aware of all the difficulties that expats can face when it comes to healthcare in a new location, so they have created a range of international health insurance plans specifically designed for expats,
Cigna is currently giving away a free health and wellbeing module with their Silver, Gold, and Platinum policies. The main benefits of the module are :
- Routine adult physical examinations - Access to a full suite of physical examinations including BMI, cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure tests
- Cancer screenings - Including bowel, prostate, breast, lung, skin, and cervical cancer
- Telephonic Wellness Coaching – Access to a personal coach to support your nutrition, fitness, sleep, stress, weight management, or tobacco cessation goals
- Life Management Assistance Programme access - 24/7 client service access to Life Coaching and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.