Expert Info

Posted by ellijayjack
on 28 Jun 2022

When I exit Canada to the US before my 6 months visitors visa expires, do I have to wait any particular length of time before re-entering? And would I have to get a new visitors visa to return?

Thanks for your advice!

Daniel_S on 15 Sep 2022 - 12:06

Hi Ellijayjack,

Thank you for your question. If your single-entry visa has not yet expired and you're visiting the US, you can ask before leaving to return to Canada on your existing visa. Alternatively, if you have a multiple-entry visitor visa, you can leave and return to Canada multiple times. Lastly, if you are leaving Canada because your visa has nearly expired and you want to renew it by re-entering and reapplying, you could instead apply for a visitor record that extends your stay.

All the best with your visit,


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global - 20% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!