Posted by Steve Naidamast
on 16 Oct 2017

My wife and I have been traveling to Austria from the States since 1993 on a near yearly basis.

I am retired and my wife is nearing her retirement And we are interested in moving to Austria in the next 18 to 24 months.

I understand that Austria has an excellent health care system where everyone, including expats, temporary residents, and tourists are all covered in one way or another.

However, if expats are coming to Austria as retirees how would we register for access to medical care if we are not working for an employer.

Would our contributions to the state plan be higher or would we be provided with alternative paths for obtaining medical insurance?

Thank you...
EmmaL on 17 Oct 2017 - 09:07
Hi Steve

The healthcare system in Austria is very good, and usually expats can benefit from this. However, they are required to actively pay into the system, and retirees such as yourself might not be able to use the public system. There are some reputable international health insurance companies that could help, but your best bet will be to speak to the nearest Austrian embassy.

Hope this helped,

Reloadvisor logo

Free Moving Quotes

ReloAdvisor is an independent online quote service for international moves. They work with hundreds of qualified international moving and relocation companies to match your individual requirements. Get up to 5 free quotes from moving companies that match your needs.