Posted by taylor1
on 20 Mar 2018
Hi all, 

I'm thinking about moving to Budapest and I love cycling wherever I need to go. 

I've heard that cycling is popular there, but smoking is popular and that doesn't make it safe. 

So my questions are: 
How safe is cycling in Budapest? 
What's the road culture like? 
Are there bike lanes? 
Also, how is cycling in winter? 

Thanks in advance.
abdulkadir on 26 Mar 2018 - 06:14
Budapest is a nice place to live. People over there also love to travel on cycle and the culture over there will help you a lot in doing cycling.
Kyle de Villiers on 27 Mar 2018 - 08:39
Hi Taylor,

Cycling in Budapest is safe and the city is equipped with bike lanes.

Although Hungary has a relatively high number of street accidents, if you adhere strictly to the rules of the road then you shouldn't have any problems. Budapest has a sophisticated cycling culture which is only growing.  

Cycling in winter is manageable but it's extremely cold. It might require some acclimatisation. 

I feel like that covers it, but if there's anything more then feel free to ask,

-Kyle