Which is more suited for expat children - public schools or international schools in Japan?
Stephanie on 24 May 2011 - 09:01
This is a difficult comparison, and it's especially challenging to generalise and say one is better or worse than the other. Each expat family has a different situation and different priorities. That said, I've worked in a Japanese public school and these are my observations...

Japanese public schools demand a commitment from student's from very early in the morning until late at night. If children are not commuting to/from school, attending classes, engaging in the REQUIRED extra-curricular activities and then studying to complete the appropriate assignments, then they're probably sleeping. Especially at the high school level, where the all-important entrance exams are looming in the background, Japanese public school is super stressful.

So much so, that in my personal opinion, I would send my child to a public elementary school, maybe a public junior school, but not a high school.

There are plenty of international and private schools around that look to acheive a better balance between school and life. 

GeoBlue International Health Insurance

GeoBlue

GeoBlue is one of the best international health insurance plans for US expats abroad or internationals residing in the USA. The GeoBlue Xplorer plan includes worldwide coverage and great customer service with access to a premium international network of hospitals and doctors including the Blue Cross Blue Shield network in the USA.

Get a quote from GeoBlue