Expert Info

Posted by Georgianna
on 23 Jan 2024

Good Morning everyone im from Greexe im planning to move to Ireland to work and if i like it and of course the life there its fine and i can stay i will stay. So my question there is do i need to get a visa? Cause im from european union and i want to know if i can get there with my id or i need paasport? Or do i need a visa for permanent aa stay or temporary stay? How does that goes? And do i need to have a private healthcare insurance before i arrive? And if yes where can i do that? Or my employee is doing that? Do i pay something for this? How much does this cost? Is every month? Or year payment? And if i want to rent a home or a place to live do i need to do it before i come? 

Thank you kisses from Georgia

Daniel_S on 23 Jan 2024 - 12:21

Hi Georgia, that's a lot of questions! I'm glad you're thinking so seriously about your move.

  • Both Greece and Ireland are in the European Union, so you don't need a visa to move, live or work in Ireland as long as you're a Greek citizen.
  • You can use either your valid Greek national identity card or your passport to move around the EU as an EU citizen. It's always a good idea to have your passport when travelling internationally, but it's not strictly necessary in your case.
  • As an EU citizen, you are entitled to access public healthcare in Ireland. It's a good idea to get your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you leave Greece.
  • If you want private health insurance, you will need to pay for that yourself or find an employer who offers it. Private healthcare is more expensive than public healthcare, but you can skip the longer waitlists. Irish public healthcare is really good, though. You usually pay monthly for health insurance, and there will be a small sign-up fee.
  • You don't need to lock down a place to rent in Ireland before moving there, but you don't want to be looking for somewhere to stay after having travelled. I would recommend finding temporary accommodation (like a hotel or short-term accommodation) while you're still in Greece, and then you can find a longer-term rental in person. Have a look at this article: For longer-term accommodation, you can sign a fixed-term lease (usually a year or two) or a periodic lease, which either you or the landlord can terminate at any time with notice. If you sign up for a year, you don't usually have to pay for the full lease. Usually it's just the first month and a deposit of 1–3 months (you'll get the deposit back at the end of the lease if you don't break anything).

If all of this seems like too much, there are also relocation companies that can guide you through the whole process. They take care of everything here and much more, so do have a look!

All the best with your move!


Georgianna on 23 Jan 2024 - 13:22

Thank you Daniel for your quick reply and all those informations....i will still look and read everything before i leave so i wont have any problem with the goverment and the country! thank you! 

RizwanKhan on 25 Jan 2024 - 05:46

Yes, if you're planning to stay and work in Ireland, you'll likely need a visa. The specific type of visa depends on factors like your nationality, the purpose of your stay, and the duration. It's recommended to check with the Irish immigration authorities or the nearest Irish embassy for the most accurate and up-to-date information based on your individual circumstances. Safe travels!

Mooty on 26 Jan 2024 - 07:42

Finding a job is the least of your worries. It is almost impossible to find accommodation. There is a massive shortage of housing and you will most likely find yourself working very hard just to exist and pay rent.

Naresh1 on 8 Feb 2024 - 13:01

Staying in Ireland visa is crucial for legal residency and compliance with immigration laws. Failure to obtain the necessary visa can result in deportation, legal penalties, and difficulties in accessing essential services, employment, or education within the country.




Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!