Hi, I am an American citizen and moving to Romania for my new job. I spoke with someone in the Romanian Embassy in the U.S. yesterday about work permits and long-stay visas, but I just wanted to triple check I had understood her correctly. As a US citizen she said I do not need a long-stay visa to enter the country, but that I go ahead and enter on my passport and then once I am in Bucharest I will go to the immigration office to apply for the work permit. Is this true and did I understand what she told me? Thanks so much for your help!
Meagan on 8 Jul 2016 - 07:32
Hi Caroline,

Yes, this is correct. As a US citizen you can enter Romania for a period of up to 90 days without a visa and can apply for a work permit once in Romania. You can read more about this process on the Expat Arrivals Work Permits in Romania page and Visas for Romania page.

Best of luck with your move.

Meagan on 16 May 2017 - 14:30
Hi Emily,

Yes, the same applies to HK citizens.

EmilyFung on 16 May 2017 - 07:43
Hi Meagan, I am a Hong Kong resident who has the same question. Would I be able to enter Romania without a long-stay visa and apply for a work visa once in Romania too? Thank you very much in advance! Emily

GeoBlue International Health Insurance

GeoBlue

GeoBlue is one of the best international health insurance plans for US expats abroad or internationals residing in the USA. The GeoBlue Xplorer plan includes worldwide coverage and great customer service with access to a premium international network of hospitals and doctors including the Blue Cross Blue Shield network in the USA.

Get a quote from GeoBlue