Posted by affonsoamerico
In 2008 I've been working for CGG Veritas in Miri, Borneo, Malaysia. I'd love the place. I'm a physician, retired in Brazil and wanting to move to a better place. I would accept to live in Miri as I really enjoy the place. I have a wife and a 9 years old daughter. Is there an international school in Miri? I could work as a family care doctor. I'm 62 years old but still healthy and working in Brazil with no restrictions. Thanks a lot. I appreciate your answer.
Anonymous (not verified) on 19 Sep 2017 - 19:34
I see that Emma has already pointed of the Tenby School in Miri. There are several other international schools in Kuching. If you come on the MM2H visa to Malaysia you can apply for PT work provided the program approves. In Sarawak the "Sarawak My Second Home Program" (which is an independent application through the STATE (i.e. Sarawak) Ministry of Tourism is supposedly for 50+ retirees only. But they also have a clause which allows limited "essential" work. BTW They are building a major Medical School in Samarahan (just outside of Kuching) and might require more Medical teachers.Several technical colleges are currently teaching nursing and medical related courses at UNIMAS. Another issue is that work for government agencies have a mandatory retirement age of 60.
EmmaL on 16 Aug 2017 - 08:49
Hi affonsoamerico

To find work in Malaysia as a doctor, your best bet will be through a recruitment agency. You will need to have a job before you move to Malaysia, as it is difficult to obtain a work permit without one. Read our page on working in Malaysia for more information. 

While most international schools are in Kuala Lumpur, there are some in Miri as well, like the Tenby School. Here is more info on schools in Malaysia

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world. Cigna are offering a 10% discount on all policies bought in November and December.