I was wondering whether there are any expats living in Colombia that could give me any advice on working in Colombia. I want to take a year or two out so that I can explore Colombia.

I've been spent some time in Argentina and Brazil and would like to try somewhere new. Most of the people that I know have gone to South America to work as English teachers. Would expats in Colombia recommend teaching English? How would you go about applying for a position?

I am a fully qualified nurse in the UK - so ideally I would like to utilise my skills in some way to help people, while being paid a decent salary. Do you think my qualifications would be valid in Colombia ?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Shantalie on 19 Nov 2012
Hi GlobalNomad

While Colombia may not be as popular an expat destination as Brazil and Argentina, but the expat population in cities like Bogota and Medellin are growin steadily.

There are a lot of of options for someone like you in Colombia. Lots of expats have started to move to Colombia to take up jobs as English teachers, so yes that is one option.

However, in your case, it would probably be best for you too look for jobs in the Medical field. There is a shortage of medical professionals in Colombia, so your skills would be sought after.

I would advise you to read our Moving to Colombia page for an overview of expat life in the country.

Good luck with the decision.