Posted by Smith
Hi. My wife and I are considering moving our family to Bogotá, Colombia. I took Spanish classes in high school, but my wife and kids don't speak the language at all. Will this make it harder for them to adapt to life there? Thanks.
Daniela de Castro on 14 Jun 2018 - 14:10

Hi there

Adapting to expat life in a new country is always a challenge, and learning to speak the local language is one of the best ways to ease the transition. That being said, there is a growing community of English-speaking expats in Bogotá, so your family should still be able to settle in despite their limited knowledge of Spanish.

Have a look at our guide to dealing with culture shock in Colombia for more information on what to expect from your move.

~ Daniela

happyemt on 11 May 2020 - 19:22

Since Colombia is on lockdown, I would like to recommend my Spanish instructor (who is currently working from home, so you would have the benefit of one on one teaching).

Tel# +57 3153370133

Or on Skype: felipo.barbosa

I have been continuing my Spanish lessons online with him. He's very patient and breaks things down well. It's been a great asset in learning to speak like a local.