Posted by PhilippaW
on 7 Mar 2017

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the relevant information anywhere.

I am looking at a fantastic NGO job in Ghana. Although I have spent extended periods abroad, this would be my as an expat. My boyfriend are in a committed relationship but do not currently have plans to get married -would getting married be a necessity in order for him to qualify as a dependent prior to our move?

Thanks,
Philippa

Meagan on 8 Mar 2017
Hi Phillipa,

What nationality are you and your boyfriend? Is it possible that he could find a job there too?

Unfortunately, you would need to be married for a dependent visa. Even if you did get married, there would be other requirements to fill such as proving that you'd have the means to support him, etc.

Although we don't have a section here on Expat Arrivals dedicated to dependent visas specifically, you might still find our page on Visas For Ghana useful anyway.

Best of luck!

Anonymous (not verified) on 9 Mar 2017
Thanks Meagan, I thought that would be the case. We're both British, and I'm in discussion about salary with the organisation at the moment in terms of providing financial support. I understand that you have to have a job already lined up prior to moving to qualify for a work visa, which would be very unlikely for him, so I think he would be fully financially dependent even if we did have a hasty wedding. Thanks for your help, I just needed to confirm what I already suspected! Best, Philippa
racheldixon on 10 Jun 2018

Hi Philippa, 

I hope you are well. I came across your query and am currently in exactly the same situation! Did you end up moving to Ghana? (if so, I hope it all went smoothly and that you're enjoying your time there!). How did it go with visas?

All the best,Rachel