Posted by Safra33
on 6 Mar 2018
Hi, I am not moving to Saudi Arabia, however, I must travel there to provide a training at a large private hospital in Hofuf. I will only be in SA 2-3 days. I am flying to Dammam and the hospital is picking me up to take me to the hotel in Hofuf. As a U.S. citizen, I would like to know if it is safe to travel by road from Dammam to Hofuf (mainly in terms of terrorist threats) and also is Hofuf safe for Westerners. Thank you in advance for any insight.
Kyle de Villiers on 7 Mar 2018 - 06:56
Hi Safra,

Do you know anything about your transport once you're in Hofuf?

As your transport and accommodation seem secure, I don't think that you should worry about terrorism. The road between Hofuf and Dammam is also considered safe. 

In terms of terrorist threats, as with all things, rare edge cases do exist. It might be best to restrict your movements more for the sake of ease of mind. 

For more context, you might find this Expat Arrivals page on safety in Saudia Arabia useful.

This Expat Arrivals page on the eastern province of Saudia Arabia might also be informative. Apparently the dates in Hofuf are exceptional. 

I hope this helps.

-Kyle
Anonymous (not verified) on 7 Mar 2018 - 13:47
Hi Kyle, Thank you for your prompt response and your advice, which is very helpful. Regarding my transportation in Hofuf, the hospital will be picking me up at the hotel and taking me to the hospital and back. While I normally love visiting local historical/cultural sites and attractions I don't plan to stray from the hotel or the hospital while I'm there 2-3 nights...Thank you for the links they were very informative.