Expert Info

on 19 Sep 2019

Hi, Greetings of the Day!!

My husband is supposed to visit Johannesburg for an assignment. He is most probably going to have a critical skill/General work visa for the purpose, as his project is going to be around 2 years. 

Me having a spouse visa, can I apply for a work permit for South Africa?

Can I obtain a work permit by paying myself or through a consultancy like in USA for H1B? OR in South Africa also I need to have sponsorship from the employer?

Shantalie on 8 Oct 2019 - 08:33

Hi Ashmita,

As far as I am aware, trailing spouses don't have the right to work in South Africa but they can stay in the country.

Most people work around this by becoming digital nomads and working remotely. That way they can get paid into a foreign account and earn foreign currency. If it is just a short term project, this can work pretty well.

. If you plan on staying in South Africa long term and secure a job offer perhaps you can get a general work permit. Are you on the critical skills list at all? What is your field of work?

For more information on your options check out the Work Permits for South Africa page.

Expat Health Insurance


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global


Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!