Expert Info

Posted by Jmc4816
on 4 Jun 2016
I am a Scottish citizen living in Scotland, but working worldwide in the oil and gas industry. The plan is to complete a series of health and safety Diplomas and apply for work in NYC in order to work and live there within 5 years. However, is it possible to only apply to live in NYC and not work there, as most of my work is in Brazil? Is there a specific type of green card application for that? Thanks. James.
Cayley on 6 Jun 2016 - 14:44
Hi James,

It sounds like that may be difficult to get right, since visas are much easier to obtain if they are sponsored by your employer, and residency permits are usually based on finding employment in the country. Take a look at our guide for more information about work permits for the USA and obtaining a green card.

Do you run your own company in the oil and gas industry?


Expat Health Insurance


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global


Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!